Intended to accommodate 300, and costing over £4,000, it came into use in November of that year and largely removed the Guardians' objection that it was impracticable to offer the workhouse to the large number of unemployed in the Union.
They provided supplies of cotton-twist and set the men to work in their regular trade of making stockings (which because of the depression would probably be unsaleable). Not satisfied with this, the men angrily demanded — and got — twice this allowance.
Following dire warnings from the Commissioners, the Guardians proposed that the unemployed men be provided with meals and a weekly allowance of 5d. Assistant Commissioner Edward Gulson then visited the Union to try and sort out a solution.
The building's location and layout are shown on the 1879 map below: Mansfield workhouse site, 1879.
Mansfield main entrance from the north-east, c.1900.
[Up to 1834] [After 1834] [Staff] [Inmates] [Records] [Bibliography] [Links] A parliamentary report of 1777 recorded a parish workhouse in operation at Mansfield with accommodation for up to 56 inmates.
In 1828, Pigot's Directory records that the Mansfield workhouse stood on Nottingham Road, with William Johnson as its master.
Courtesy of John Vanags / Old Mansfield Society In 1882, the sum of £15,000 was spent on additions and improvements to the buildings, with RF Vallance engaged as architect.
A new 84-bed infirmary block was erected at the west of the workhouse.
The scammers start by stealing a photo from an internet site.
They prefer to use images of white people capitalising on stereotypes and perceptions.
They are offering the chance of finding true love and happiness, and there are plenty of takers!